HOW TO MAKE STATEMENT CHANDELIER EARRINGS IN AN INSTANT!
With a little help from some filigree stampings create some statement chandelier earrings which will be the envy of all your girlfriends and worn on the red carpet today! YESSSS!
Buy from our extensive range of vintage and modern brass stampings online and make designer earrings in an instant whilst embracing sustainable style. Brass is the eco of all metals! Alternatively purchase a DIY kit and learn how to make your own showstopping designer chandelier earrings with an online video using brass stampings and Czech glass crystals and beads. Crafting is the perfect project for these physical distancing times.
Why We Love Brass & So Will You!
- Brass is highly durable which means it just keeps getting better with age. The more you wear it the better it looks!!!
- Brass is solid and is polished easily which means it never peels, chips or fades.
- Brass is corrosion resistant which means it will not rust if you love to wear your jewellery at the beach or in the shower.
- Brass is green: a highly machinable material which makes it able to be accurately manufactured with less scrap, less rework and less energy than other materials. Products made from brass generally have good “cradle-to-grave” characteristics as not only do they show good durability but brass is also readily recycled at the end of the products working life. Basically it is the most eco of all metals you can work with.
- Brass is lead and nickel free which means no more sensitive and sore ears!
- Brass has a soft muted honey colouring, which makes it the most complimentary of all metal finishes for most skin tones.
How are Brass Stampings Made?
Thin sheets of brass are imprinted or stamped with dies made by metal engravers to produce delicate charm and “metal lace”, known as filigree cutouts.
How to Use Brass Stampings?
(nickel & lead free) include filigrees, ornaments and charms are some of the most versatile pieces we offer.
They can be used as:
- links (by themselves or with other findings and beads),
- pendants or charms for necklaces and chandelier earrings with a fringe of beads,
- instant rings & brooches by glueing a brooch back or ring setting,
- decorating faberge eggs,
- used in architecture and theatre models
- scrap booking,
- adorn brass cuffs & use for embellishments on beads or in polymer clay for beautiful vintage inspired jewellery.
The History of Brass Stampings
Used predominately in the manufacture of couture jewellery in the 18 and 19th centuries, brass stampings have once again become extremely popular in contemporary jewellery from centre stage pendants, to eclectic charm bracelets and chandelier earrings. Many of the pieces we feature are still made from the original dies inspired by the Victorian period and created in the late 1800’s. They were designed and made in France, Bohemia and Italy in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The French philosopher Montaigne, in the 16th century discussed the desire “to put adornment within everybody’s reach”. Praising the work of the metalworkers, he revolutionised the wearing of jewellery, as it now became accessible not only to the privileged rich, but to the common people. Used predominately by the manufacture of couture jewellery in the 18 and 19th centuries, brass stampings have once again become extremely popular in eclectic charm bracelets and chokers. Use them with layers of chain and beads for a very contemporary look.
SHOP STAMPINGS: click here
Over time raw brass will naturally oxidise or dull. You may like the antique patina it creates however if you want to bring the piece back to shiny simply use some lemon juice & gently scrub the surface with a toothbrush. This is the finish we use in all our vintage workshops as we love the old finish raw brass takes on over time. We recommend you do not leave raw brass in wet areas e.g. bathrooms or wear whilst in water.
MAKE THESE SHOWSTOPPING EARRINGS
To make these gorgeous pair of statement earings we used the following elements which are all available on our online store or take some inspiration from this design and make and create your own jaw dropping, gab smacking statement pair of earrings:
- x2 38mm a large filigree raw brass doily embellished with a Swarovski diamante stone in peach and 1.5mm ball chain
- x12cm raw brass belcher chain ( you decide how long you want your earrings)
- x2 a large flatback stone set in a raw brass lace cup frame which was glued together. TIP: for best results use Araldite a two part epoxy glue
- x8 oval jumprings to attach the chain to both the stone and the filigree
- x1pr continental hooks for pirced ears
Get creative and enjoy a dose of mindfulness in these uncertain times.