HOW TO PLAN A BABY BLESSING USING BEADS
PLANNING A BABY BLESSING?
At Etelage we stock an amazing collection of beads and charms for your Mother Blessing or Blessing Way which is an old Navajo (native American) ceremony.
It celebrates a woman’s rite of passage into motherhood which is an alternative to the traditional ‘baby shower’ that is held for a woman approaching birth. Not only is it a memorable, fun and creative celebration with friends but also a special time of nurturing and supporting the mother-to-be and celebrating motherhood.
TIPS ON HOW TO PLAN A BABY BLESSING WAY…
We love the idea of making a symbolic and meaningful beaded necklace as a baby blessing which is worn in labour to nurture the woman. It is also known as a “labour of love” necklace which we think sums up what the beaded necklace symbolises in a really powerful way.
Each woman attending brings a special bead/s for a blessing birthing necklace. i.e worn in birthing
You could choose a bead based on the:
- meaning of a semi precious stone,
- where the bead was made as it may remind you both of a shared holiday experience,
- your or her favourite colour,
- how it was made and its values for example, eco, ethical or fair trade
- as it reminds you of your shared childhood memories
On the day of the blessing: sit in a circle and one by one ask each woman to thread her bead/s and share a blessing, prayer, wish or a pearl of wisdom for the mother-to-be and her baby.
It gives other mothers present in the circle the opportunity to share experiences. Often it is a time when the mother-to-be can express any fears or worries in a safe and sacred setting and receive the support she needs.
You can say why you chose each bead/s, the meaning you give it and the message it holds. This can be shared aloud or said quietly within.
This honours her and gives her strength with this beautiful symbolic connection to all her female friends when she gives birth.
For those unable to attend the baby blessing you can ask them to send a bead and a pearl of wisdom ahead of the event which can be included as part of the ceremony.
The beaded necklace is a symbol of family and friends “present” whilst the mother to be is in labour and a great “tool” for the mother to keep mum strong and supported.
- It may also be hung above a birthing pool as a mobile.
- You could create prayer bunting with all of your personal messages for the mother to be which will remind her of the incredible support the women in her life have given her.
- Get creative and explore what feels right for the mother to be!
SHOP baby blessing beads: click