Events for March 2019
Events Search and Views Navigation
Etelage offers a flexible and varied open program for passionate jewellery makers or novices. Pick a class that suits you and give yourself a creative fix now.
ALTERNATIVELY BOOK A PERSONAL AND DYNAMIC PRIVATE CLASS.
- does it feel like all work and no play?
- want to nurture your creative soul and learn a new skill?
- want to become a better jewellery maker and jewellery designer?
I am a jewellery designer, author and instructor. My ambition is to help you develop excellent technical jewellery makingskills and inspire you to greater creative depth in your jewellery making adventures.
Let’s make and play together!
WHAT YOU GET?
A creative studio space with no stress and no distractions. Just a group of like minded people enjoying making, crafting and some sweet treats for afternoon tea. Enjoy a group learning hands on experience workshop and leave with an amazing piece/s of jewellery which will impress you as well as your friends, plus loads of inspiration and a spark of creative passion.
You will leave inspired and empowered to practice what you have learnt.
Our jewellery classes are ideal for craft novices or those with some experience of jewellery making. Some are technique driven whilst others are more experience driven and you are the designer.
JEWELLERY CLASS VENUE
- Paper Rock Scissors Art Studios
- 760 Darling St Rozelle (next door to La Coq, cnr Denison St)
- or we can travel to you for groups of 6 or more!
We are passionate about the maker culture and observe that generally as a society we are becoming more mindful about our choices: conscious of choosing products which are made using artisan traditions and not mass produced, and seeking quality over quantity. So it is with that philosophy we love teaching you technical skills and jewellery design to encourage all of our students to awaken their creative soul and seek beauty, slow, artisan and local.
Christine Smalley is a full time designer and educator under the label Etelage est in 2002 and based in the inner west. She is a bower bird at heart and combines her love of travels and cultures to source exotic artisan beads & embellishments for her jewellery designs. She has lived in Africa, studied glass design in Italy and fossicked through many a basement of former jewellery makers in the hub of Bohemia. (Czech Republic and southern Germany) Her travels allow a constant flow of inspiration and stories plus an eclectic and juxtaposed style.
With over 15 years teaching experience Christine is dedicated to empowering her students to become better designers and better makers, equipping them with skills and confidence to create whatever her students dream!
WHY WE BELIEVE CREATIVITY IS IMPORTANT IN OUR LIVES
Why is creativity so important?
Did you know anxiety and depression overwhelming affects a staggering 4o% of Australian women?
We live our modern western lives in perpetual motion with perpetual social media, news feeds and noise. Research confirms that digital technology makes us feel anxious and we know if we tried to keep up with the ‘rosy instagram’ perfected life we see daily, life can suddenly seem overwhelming.
And the advice from psychologists; we need to to get back to basics, drop perfectionism and make and do stuff more. Whether we are carers, full time workers, retired or studying the importance of creativity in our lives is paramount for all stages and for all ages. Plan a creative afternoon once a month with your friends, start a hobby, join a regular craft class, disconnect from technology once a week and nurture your creative soul.
We all have to balance life, family, work and pleasure. Make sure you factor is some creativity also. Create a habit and make time for your creative habit.
Let’s meet face to face, learn a new skill and have some fun with the other real imperfect folk!
Christine gave me the confidence to turn my basic jewellery skills & passion for colour into a modest business. She is an unorthodox teacher who generously shared all her invaluable tips to turn my basic jewellery pieces into professionally finished pieces which I now sell to galleries – she is truly inspirational. Tina 2013
Loved learning how to make some fab earrings. It was so much easier then I thought and Chris gave me so many more things to consider like what types of earrings suited my square jaw line. Emma 2016
- Unfortunately we cannot offer refunds if you can’t attend a class for any reason.
- You are however completely welcome to send a friend in your place!. Refunds are not available due to our intimate class sizes.
- Etelage reserves the right to cancel or postpone any class due to numbers. In this instance you will receive a full refund or you can choose to attend another workshop of the same value (or plus or minus any difference in class fee)
- All class handouts, materials & projects are original Etelage ideas and subject to copyright.
- Camera shy? We may take photos and/or video at your workshop to use in our marketing materials including social media. If you do not wish to have your photo taken or appear in a video please let us know.